How are folks limiting what employees share with unauthorized LLMs?

Microsoft

A common question I encounter is how companies are preventing their employees from sharing sensitive information with unauthorized LLMs. Some of the initial solutions include DLP (Data Loss Prevention) and modifying the network filter. I wonder what Windows offers in this regard, but more importantly - what are the best practices in the industry?

Microsoft Defender Application Guard can be configured to open specific LLM/chat-sites in a lock down browser and control how users interact with the content. With application guard you can block specific sites or limit clipboard, etc.

How do you prevent, control, or track your employees' access to unapproved LLM/chat-sites?

3 Replies

Hey @JoeCicero 

You can use Microsoft Defender to block unauthorized access to LLMs by blocking the URLs under Settings > Endpoints > Rules > Indicators

This will block any LLM's across your org running Defender for Endpoint Agent on the device

Other ways you could block users from access LLM's would be Defender for Cloud Apps by adding a Policy in to block certain apps based on conditions like monitoring etc

Thanks Bill, for sharing, I will add that to the list.

I continue to work on a blog on the topic and I am excited about where this is headed. Here are some of the approaches I am researching:

Microsoft Defender’s Application Guard:

Microsoft Defender for Endpoint’s URL Blocking:

Defender for Cloud Apps:

Incorporating Azure Firewall for Enhanced Protection:

***Please continue to share ideas***