Clarification Needed: Features of 'M365 Chat' vs 'Copilot (new)'

Copper Contributor

Please help me understand the  following features in Teams for desktop:

1. M365 Chat - What are its main functions and use cases?
  2. Copilot (new) - How does it differ from 'M365 Chat' in terms of features and applications?

I have recently subscribed to the $30 monthly plan and wish to fully understand the value of each service. Screenshot attached from the New Teams version 23320.3027.2591.1505.

Jeffg635_0-1705460867897.png

14 Replies
Copilot Pro can't access MS Teams

@SharmaNeerajare we talking about the same license?

Jeffg635_1-1705537203982.png

M365 Copilot priced at 30 USD can access MS Teams where as Copilot Pro priced at 20 USD cannot access.
Hey @Jeffg635, that should go away soon to just one app.
Same question. Why do we have 2 apps.
I am wondering if it's the difference between a pinned chat button and an app button. Otherwise, they both seem exactly the same.
The M365 Chat app is being sun setted. We are asking customers to remove it when they receive the latest Copilot app. All new capabilities will be in the Copilot App and added automatically above chat and included newer features like the integration of the prompt library and Copilot chat history.

@michellegilbert 
Could you please provide some clarity on how to keep track of the different tools and their names? The licensed tool, Copilot, has been renamed to M365 Copilot for use within a company environment. The free service, BingChat, has also been renamed to Copilot, with a peculiar statement indicating that the prompt is not used for training but is promoted on the internet. Additionally, within MS Teams, M365 Chat has been renamed to Copilot. However, using Copilot with the Edge browser is not the same as using Copilot with the Teams app. Will the M365 Chat in Edge also be renamed to Copilot? It seems very hard for the user to identify which service is in use and which data they are allowed to enter.

@ThomasTrebing it gets even more confusing, I have both M365 app in MS Teams and Copilot in teams, and also Copilot on the office.com web site.  It gets even "better" if you use copilot to ask if they are the same app, The one on the web told me they were not, because the others did not have access to a tool called search_enterprise tool, inferring it weas superior.  when I ask the Copilot app in Teams if it has access to that tool, it says "Yes", so are they the same or are they not?

Microsoft do themselves know favours with this lack of clarity (again)

We had the same query as well. To my understanding, the best answer I can give so far is that both M365 Chat and Copilot are AI-powered features within Teams, but they serve different purposes:

M365 Chat: Acts as an AI assistant specifically focused on search and information retrieval within Microsoft 365 applications. It helps users find relevant information across their emails, calendars, documents, and notes.
Copilot: Offers a broader range of AI functionalities beyond just search. It can summarize documents, generate creative text formats, answer questions based on your work data, and even automate tasks within various Microsoft 365 applications.
While Copilot might share some similarities with M365 Chat due to their use of AI, they are distinct features with different functionalities within Teams.
You forgot the Windows Copilot (ex Cortana). It's a mess!
There is so much dissatisfaction around the $30/month Copilot for Microsoft 365. As stated in many comments I also find it to be confusing with other copilot versions, it struggles to get data out of Outlook, works just "OK" in Word, has poor image skills in PowerPoint and is completely useless in Excel. Also, it cannot generate landscape images from the chat. Microsoft please find a quick way to compensate your customers (license needs to be paid annualy upfront)...
Bing Chat has been renamed to Copilot as well! haha!